Site Visit: Castillo de San Marcos

 Castillo de San Marcos

I was unable to visit any sites this week due to the incoming storm as well as other reasons so today I will post about a site visit from earlier this year to Castillo de San Marcos. On May 1st, 2022 I visited St. Augustine and toured around Castillo de San Marcos. I went with my brother and my mom and we visited Castillo de San Marcos at my request. We spent time there from around 1:00-2:30, so around an hour and a half. Castillo de San Marcos is the Spanish fortification that was built into the area to serve as an outpost for the Spanish military. It is relevant to the text because it is within St. Augustine which is mentioned a lot not only in the early history of Florida but also in its later history as well. We spent time walking around the areas like the fort's cell, barracks, top-side, and the minor fortifications around the fort. It was quite the experience because we took the time to actually stay still and read the information given to us. For example, we stopped to read the sign at an area we assumed was for cremation but was actually for heating cannonballs or just iron in general depending on the day.  




Comments

  1. Awesome stuff! I found the Castillo to be very enriching for my education. I thought the cannons were cool and wondered how they operated. I went to the Castillo when I was younger in age. It was evidently a great defense, because it still exists today, against all odds. The prison was very interesting, and I thought about what it would be like to be in the cell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment